Profession wastewater treatment technician
Wastewater treatment technicians aid wastewater treatment operators in the operation and maintenance of wastewater treatment equipment, and the purification procedure of wastewater, in sewage plants. They perform repair duties.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Enterprising / Realistic
- Realistic / Conventional
- Maintain water treatment equipment
Perform repairs and routine maintenance tasks on equipment used in the purification and treatment processes of water and waste water.
- Maintain specified water characteristics
Turn valves and place baffles in troughs to adjust the volume, depth, discharge, and temperature of water as specified.
- Ensure equipment maintenance
Ensure that the equipment required for operations is regularly checked for faults, that routine maintenance tasks are performed, and that repairs are scheduled and performed in the case of damage or flaws.
- Report test findings
Report test results with a focus on findings and recommendations, differentiating results by levels of severity. Include relevant information from the test plan and outline the test methodologies, using metrics, tables, and visual methods to clarify where needed.
- Monitor water quality
Measure water quality: temperature, oxygen, salinity, pH, N2, NO2,NH4, CO2, turbidity, chlorophyll. Monitor microbiological water quality.
- Use testing equipment
Use equipment to test performance and operation of machinery.
- Maintain desalination control system
Maintain a system to obtain potable water from saline water.
- Maintain records of maintenance interventions
Keep written records of all repairs and maintenance interventions undertaken, including information on the parts and materials used, etc.
- Interpret scientific data to assess water quality
Interpret biological and physico-chemical data to assess water quality.
- Resolve equipment malfunctions
Identify, report and repair equipment damage and malfunctions; communicate with field representatives and manufacturers to obtain repair and replacement components.
- Apply health and safety standards
Adhere to standards of hygiene and safety established by respective authorities.
- Replace machines
Evaluate when to invest in replacing machines or machine tools and take the necessary actions.
- Keep records of work progress
Maintain records of the progress of the work including time, defects, malfunctions, etc.
Optional knowledge and skillsuse personal protection equipment perform sample testing repair plumbing systems dispose of sewage sludge operate water purifying equipment operate sewage treatment plans on ships ensure compliance with environmental legislation perform water treatments maintain water storage equipment laboratory techniques operate pumping equipment ensure proper water storage prepare samples for testing test samples for pollutants use water disinfection equipment operate hydraulic machinery controls
Common job titles
- Collection system technician
- Scada-instrumentation technician
- Instrumentation technician
- Wastewater plant laboratory technician
- Senior electronics technician
- Electrical, instrumentation, and controls (ei&c) supervisor
- Field tech i
- Technician, waste water treatment (covanta environmental solutions)
- Electrical & instrumentation technician
- Water team leader - gulf coast