Plumbers assemble, install, and repair pipes, fittings, and fixtures of heating, water, and drainage systems, according to specifications and plumbing codes.
- Review blueprints, building plans, building regulations, product information and specifications to determine work details and procedures (e.g. sequence of pipe installations, to plan around obstructions such as electrical wiring).
- Select sizes and types of equipment and materials.
- Locate and mark the position of pipe installations, connections, passage holes and fixtures in structures, using measuring instruments such as rulers and levels.
- Measure, cut, thread and bend pipe to required angle, using different techniques and hand and power tools or machines such as pipe cutters, pipe-threading and pipe-bending machines.
- Assemble pipe sections, tubing and fittings, using materials such as couplings, clamps, screws, bolts, cement, plastic solvent, caulking, and techniques such as soldering, brazing and welding.
- Install pipe assemblies, fittings, valves, appliances and fixtures (e.g. sinks, toilets, dishwashers, heating and cooling systems, gas appliances, water tanks), e.g. using hand and power tools.
- Maintain and repair plumbing systems.
- Check the work (e.g. by filling pipes or plumbing fixtures with water or air and observe pressure gauges to detect and locate leaks) and repair and correct faults.
- Keep records of assignments and produce detailed work reports.
Related professions mechanic, electrician
- Aircraft engine technician
- Aircraft mechanic
- Bicycle repairer
- Construction machinery mechanic
- Electronics mechanic or servicer
- Engine or diesel mechanic (not in motor vehicles)
- Industrial machinery erector-installer
- Industrial machinery mechanic
- Installation or service technician conveyor belts
- Lift mechanic
- Metalworking machinery fitter
- Moped or scooter mechanic
- Office machinery fitter
- Plant maintenance electrician
- Plant maintenance mechanic
- Printing machinery mechanic
- Process control technician, all other
- Textiles machinery mechanic
- Turbine fitter
- Vending machine money collector
- Vending machine service operator
- Wheelchair repairer
- Woodworking machinery mechanic
- Types of piping
A variety of types of piping and piping materials. PVC, CPVC, PEX, copper, and the advantages, usage cases, risks, and costs of each.
- Plumbing tools
A variety of common plumbing tools and their usage cases, limitations and risks.
- Snap chalk line
Stretch a line covered in fine, non-staining chalk between two points and snap it against a surface to produce a straight line.
- Work ergonomically
Apply ergonomy principles in the organisation of the workplace while manually handling equipment and materials.
- Install PVC piping
Lay different types and sizes of PVC piping in prepared spaces. Cut the piping to size and attach it by using glue or other systems. Make sure the piping has a clean edge, is free of strains and has the right tilt for fluids to run through.
- Interpret 2D plans
Interpret and understand plans and drawings in manufacturing processes which include representations in two dimensions.
- Inspect construction supplies
Check construction supplies for damage, moisture, loss or other problems before using the material.
- Follow health and safety procedures in construction
Apply the relevant health and safety procedures in construction in order to prevent accidents, pollution and other risks.
- Prepare copper pipes for use as gas lines
Use the appropriate copper pipes to serve as gas lines. Cut the pipes to size and remove any sharp ridges after cutting. Flare the ends with the right size flare to facilitate the attachment of connectors. Avoid kinking the pipe and discard any kinked piping.
- Check water pressure
Check the water pressure in a water circulation system, using a built-in gauge or by attaching a water pressure gauge onto a pipe. In the case of a stand-alone gauge, be sure to depressurise the system before attaching the gauge.
- Place sanitary equipment
Place sanitary equipment, such as toilets and sinks. Attach the equipment securely to walls and floors. Install taps and water disposal pipes.
- Use safety equipment in construction
Use elements of protective clothing such as steel-tipped shoes, and gear such as protective goggles, in order to minimise risk of accidents in construction and to mitigate any injury if an accident does occur.
- Transport construction supplies
Bring construction materials, tools and equipment to the construction site and store them properly taking various aspects into account such as the workers' safety and protection from deterioration.
- Install metal gas piping
Safely install gas pipes and tubes made of steel or copper. Install all necessary connectors and modern ball valves. Test the pipe to make sure there are no leaks.
- Interpret 3D plans
Interpret and understand plans and drawings in manufacturing processes which include representations in three dimensions.
- Use measurement instruments
Use different measurement instruments depending on the property to be measured. Utilise various instruments to measure length, area, volume, speed, energy, force, and others.
- Use welding equipment
Operate welding equipment in a safe manner; use welding techniques such as shielded metal arc welding or flux-cored arc welding.
- Clear out drains
Remove organic materials and other debris from pipes, usually using a snake, a long device that is pushed down the pipes.
- Replace faucets
Remove taps using the appropriate tool, such as a tap wrench, a monkey wrench or a ratcheting wrench. Perform the same operations to replace the tap with a repaired or new one.
- Attach PEX pipe
Make attachments between PEX pipes and between PEX and other materials. Put a copper crimp ring around both ends. Insert a connector piece between the cable ends and use the appropriate size crimp tool to crimp the rings. Check the crimp operation using a go-no-go tool.
- Install plumbing systems
Install systems of pipes, drains, fittings, valves, and fixtures designed for the distribution of potable water for drinking, heating, washing and waste removal.
Optional knowledge and skillscalculate needs for construction supplies consult technical resources maintain work area cleanliness protect surfaces during construction work apply proofing membranes keep records of work progress set up water filtration system set up temporary construction site infrastructure use sander cut metal products cut wall chases order construction supplies process incoming construction supplies keep personal administration answer requests for quotation water pressure monitor stock level apply a protective layer work in a construction team install solar water heater use metal bending techniques
Source: Sisyphus ODB